As a self-taught emerging artist, my work in oils is reflective of architecture, flora, landscape and street scenes that I’ve photographed in my travels, especially during a trip to Ireland, however the beauty of Long Island offers unsurpassed opportunities to create. The serenity of the East End, whether it’s on one of the undulating sea shores or in a bright lavender field, brings me to the canvas. Butterflies and birds take sanctuary in my own backyard and it’s a delight to capture a moment of stillness amidst the frenetic flapping of wings.
Drawing inspiration and direction from my photographs, I trained myself to “see what I’m looking at.” By breaking down an image into shadows, light, movement, and color, I discovered the ability to breathe life into something of one dimension. I especially enjoy isolating an up-close perspective on flowers, whose patterns and complexities continue to amaze and delight – nature’s formula for the creation of something unique, imperfect and random.
With no formal training, other than an extensive undergraduate art history education at Hofstra University, I began painting in late 2017 upon receiving a gift of an easel and art supplies from my father, who paints as well. He knew I had it in me and now it was my turn to create.
- Dockers Sunset (20 x 16 oil on canvas) featured in “Harvest of Artists 2021,” b.j. spoke gallery, Huntington, NY – January 2021
- Forsythia in Quarantine (20 x 24 oil on canvas) featured in “Every Day: Transforming Crisis into Art.” Long Island Museum LIMarts – December 2020
- Montauk Morning (21 x 17 framed oil on canvas) featured in “In a New Light,” Huntington Arts Council, January 2021 & “Harvest of Artists 2019,” b.j. spoke gallery, Huntington, NY – December 2019
- Dockers (23.5 x 29 framed oil on canvas) featured in the Huntington Arts Council Annual Member Showcase – June 2020
- The Fertile Void (30 x 30 oil on canvas) featured in the LIMarts member exhibition “Anything Goes” at the Long Island Museum, Stony Brook, NY – December 2019
- East End Lavender (23.5 x 29 framed oil on canvas) featured in the Huntington Arts Council Annual Member Showcase – June 2019
- Powerscourt Steps (19 x 23 framed oil on canvas) oil on canvas featured in The Art Guild’s of Port Washington “Casting Shadows” exhibition – October 2018
- Featured “Artist of the Month” at Book Revue, Huntington, NY. The show included five limited-edition giclée prints – October 2018
In the News!
For inquiries on pricing of original work and select limited edition Giclée prints on museum-quality archival paper email Hillary@HillarySerotaNeedleArt.com